Monday blues? Womp womp. Sometimes, a girl just needs an extra dose of happy. Here are five quick things you can do immediately to help get you there.
1. Get out.
Step away from your Facebook and Instagram! FOMO is the LAST thing you need to be dealing with right now, so do yourself a favor and just…don’t. Instead, get out of the house! Whether you hit the gym for a sweat sesh (yay endorphins!), head to Starbucks for your favorite drink, or simply opt for a sunny walk around the block, changing your scene can majorly change your attitude.
2. Pet a puppy.
Pet a puppy. Or a kitten. Or hold a baby. Whatever you do, the important part is making contact. Petting a critter is the ultimate in stress relief, and a perfect way to unwind. Animals’ unconditional love has even been linked to help with depression by improving mood and decreasing tension! It’s science-backed, guaranteed to work. No pet of your own? Hit up a humane society!
3. Call someone.
With texting, iChat, twitter, and Snap Chat, making an actual phone call can seem like the last thing you need (or want!) to do to keep in touch with your favorite people. Talking on the phone isn’t “cool” anymore. In fact, many of us–myself included–have come to loathe it. This being said, suck it up and call someone you love! Actually TALKING to someone you care about all but guarantees an instant mood boost, even if you initially dread it.
4. Pamper yourself.
Never underestimate the importance of “me time”. While scheduling a blow-out, massage, or mani-pedi pretty much promises the ultimate in relaxation and pampering, DIY-ing similar treatments can have an equal improvement on your state of mind. My ultimate at-home pampering routine? A candlelit bubble bath with a side of ‘Scandal’. Works every time.
5. Retail therapy.
When all else fails, buy something. While this option is admittedly not the most wallet friendly (or sustainable…) it always seems to get the job done, no matter how small the purchase! Seriously–sometimes a $1.00 tattoo choker necklace feels as good as a $200 pair of jeans. Online or in-person, just go for it. Treat yourself, girl! You deserve it.
What are your go-to happiness tips and tricks?
- Sip it. As far as I’m concerned, EVERYTHING is better with a straw. I don’t know if it brings back memories of drinking from crazy straws as a kid, or if it just makes it feel like whatever I’m sipping on is more of a treat, but if I’m drinking water through a straw, I’ll always drink more than going without. I use a Venti-sized tumbler with a straw that I got from Starbucks to keep myself sipping all day.
- Flavor it. This is one of the most common drink-more-water tips for a reason: it works. Water with lemon or lime is just BETTER than plain water. I love squeezing citrus into my water in the morning, and definitely drink way more (without thinking about it) when my water is flavored. I mean, #detoxwater is popular on instagram for a reason. Adding fruit to your water is a must-try. If you’re fancy, you can buy a specialty water bottle that actually infuses your water with whatever ingredients you choose–perfect for avoiding those nasty bottom-of-the-bottle pieces of mushy fruit.
- Schedule it. Oh technology. You and your apps make drinking (water) so simple. If you have an iPhone, download Waterlogged and prepare to track your ounces. Somehow, taking note of exactly HOW much you drink makes drinking more water into a fun little challenge.
- Filter it. Personally, I know that I drink at least 10x more water if I’m drinking the pre-filtered stuff my fridge spouts out. Tap water? Ew, no thanks. (I’m weird, guys. I’ve never liked tap water.) It’s just so easy! Plus it saves $$$ and the environment since you’re not going through plastic bottle after bottle in an attempt to hydrate.
- Fizz it. If you’re super into soda, combine this tip with tip #2 and you’re totally golden. Sparkling water is so much more interesting and satisfying than still! Do it yourself with a SodaStream machine or go the lazy girl route (AKA my route) and opt for varieties from La Croix or h2OH. Fizzy water is addictive and feels like a treat!
Since late 2008 or so, Lululemon and I have had an ongoing relationship. First, it was their Groove pants. Then, the Wunder Unders. Then, the Boogie shorts. I was 100% all about their super-stretch Luon fabric, upside-down horseshoe logo, and paying a serious premium for apparel that made my butt look banging. So yeah, I love Lululemon. Something I have come to decidedly not love about Lulu, however, is the fact that it is now so prevalent that I run the risk of looking like a Lulu-lemming anytime I step out of the house in their wares. Dislike. Facing the same problem? You’re in luck! Here are 3 super-cute activewear brands that aren’t Lululemon. Prepare to spice up your life…or at least your gym wardrobe.
1. Lorna Jane
If you’re on Instagram, you know Lorna Jane. According to the Australia-based company’s brand statement, Lorna Jane is “not simply a clothing label; it is a way of life.” The perfect blend of fitness and fashion, LJ not only offers a constantly-changing collection of bright, patterned, and otherwise fabulous sportswear, but also an entire life philosophy developed by creator Lorna Jane Clarkson–Move. Nourish. Believe. As a companion to their ultra-cute and stylish workout wear, Lorna Jane boasts a fashion-and-lifestyle driven Instagram account (@lornajane), an LJ fitness app for tracking walks, runs, and cycling miles, and an incredibly inspirational blog based on the LJ Move Nourish Believe philosophy. You can shop all of the collection’s offerings online, or, if you’re local and lucky, visit one of Lorna Jane’s four US retail locations in California and Arizona. Hot picks: Leopard ‘Wildside’ Sports Bra, ‘Aphrodite Excel’ Running Tank, ‘Crescent Excel’ Half-Zip Top.
2. Beyond Yoga
Sucker for Lulu’s signature yoga pants? Well, I’m about to blow your mind. Beyond Yoga‘s pants are EVEN BETTER. Seriously. Soft, stretchy, and expertly-crafted, these crops, leggings, and shorts sell at a price point similar to Lulu’s, but in designs that you won’t see on every third person in your hot vinyasa flow class or in line with you at the grocery store. Expect a wide variety of street-to-studio styles in a myriad of colors and cuts in sizes XXS to XXL…All with the same butt-enhancing properties that we’ve come to love from the Big L! Score. Hot Picks: Bright Yoga Capri Legging, Ladder Back Camisole, Quilted Essential Shorts.
3. The Upside
I first became acquainted with The Upside after falling in love with a pair of their leopard print yoga shorts on Stylerunner. Yeah. The Australian activewear brand flies under the general radar, but happily into the closets of style-driven gym goers. Luxurious fabrics, modern design, and uncommon prints and patterns are hallmarks of this high-end line, styled with the athlete of the FUTURE in mind. The ultimate combination of fitness and fashion, The Upside fuses runway trends with modern performance gear fit for yoga, barre, running, and general stylish living. While you pay a premium for international ordering, The Upside’s designs are so unique and cool that it ALMOST doesn’t matter. Hot Picks: ‘Ashlea’ Tee (pictured above!), Leopard Print Run Short, ‘Candace Can’ Crop Top in Python/Black.
Which activewear brands are your favorite? Have any awesome lines to share? Leave a comment and let me know!