26. 25 + 1. 21 + 5. 26.
…And here we are. In celebration of my 26 candles, here are 26 semi-useful things I’ve learned in my first 26 years on earth.
- If you have a random, last-minute, or otherwise unexpected opportunity to do something cool or crazy, you should probably take it.
- A hair straightener doubles as an iron in a pinch.
- Between coupon codes, promotions, markdowns, and negotiating, you should almost never pay full price for anything.
- Consciously putting your shoulders down physically makes you relax and de-stress in two seconds. We scrunch when we’re tense!
- Oversharing is unattractive. Don’t turn important parts of your life into entertainment for your acquaintances. Keep some things to yourself.
- Alum cures canker sores.
- Take lots of pictures, but don’t get so caught up in taking said pictures that you miss out on actually living your life.
- Designer jeans are notoriously stretchy, so if they feel just a LITTLE too tight in the dressing room, they’ll be perfect after you wear them for a few hours IRL.
- Really think before dying your hair any shade of red, because getting red dye OUT of your hair is a lengthy, expensive, and/or potentially damaging process.
- The best pet stain/odor removing products aren’t the heavy-duty chemical cleaning ones, but the ones that contain natural enzymes.
- Work for free? Yeah…I don’t do that anymore.
- It’s never a bad idea to make a list of things that make you laugh. I have two mini-notebooks for this purpose–one filled with inside jokes/shared experiences that one of my best friends and I have collaborated on, and the other containing “Dad-isms” and other particularly entertaining quotes from my papa.
- Worrying is basically pointless, so no matter how freaked out you are about something, try to indulge in that habit as minimally as possible.
- Accepting someone as they are and for who they are does not mean that you are required to have or maintain a relationship with said person.
- Nice–or at the very least, PLEASANT–should be your default. You can always get stern/serious/unfriendly if you need to, and being able to be mean in a nice way is actually a pretty valuable life skill.
- Blonde is my happy color. Yes, happy colors are a thing.
- D.mannose powder helps to prevent UTIs.
- Writing a thank you note is never a bad idea.
- If your workout feels like torture, you probably aren’t going to stick with it. Doing things you hate really isn’t sustainable.
- Carrie and Big do NOT have an ideal relationship, and Carrie is kind of a train-wreck in general. Re-watch SATC now that you’re older and see for yourself.
- There’s a reason that stuff from Forever 21 and H&M is so cheap: It’s generally crap. You get what you pay for.
- If you see something in a store that looks like it could be cute but you’re not sure if it’s your style/if you could pull it off, try it on! Sometimes the weirdest pieces of clothing look the best once they’re actually ON a body.
- Keeping your mouth SHUT in questionable situations generally tends not to backfire.
- It is sometimes completely okay to stay within your comfort zone. Trust your gut.
- Sometimes seemingly-stupid things are actually popular for good reason. Read/watch/listen to these things and decide for yourself whether or not you like them AFTER doing so.
- Being cold is actually awful, and shivering is universally not cute. Wear the jacket/tights/gloves.
Here’s to 26!