Soooo I am in LOVE with plantains. Hate bananas (seriously, I haven’t had one since I was 5,) but love plantains. Plantain chips are one of my favorite ways to devour them. Since I was feeling particularly crafty this afternoon, I attempted to make my own, slightly healthier version. Healthier how? By baking the chips instead of frying them of course! I’m so glad I tried these out–my DIY-ed plantain chips were super easy and super yummy. Want to make your own? Here’s how it’s done.
TSB Skinny Baked Plantain Chips
- Baking sheet
- Aluminum foil
- 1 large plantain
- Coconut oil spray
- Pumpkin pie spice
- Optional: Brown sugar or stevia to taste
1. Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Line baking sheet with aluminum foil.
3. Coat foil with coconut oil spray. Set aside.
4. Thinly slice plantain into rounds using a sharp knife or mandolin.
5. Place rounds onto oiled baking sheet and sprinkle on pumpkin pie spice. Spray a light mist of coconut oil over chips.
6. Bake for 10-12 minutes.
7. After 10-12 minutes, then take chips out of the oven and carefully flip each chip over using tongs.
8. Sprinkle the uncooked side with pumpkin pie spice, and place back into the oven for an additional 10-12 minutes or until chips appear lightly browned and crisp.
9. Remove from oven, let cool, and enjoy!
There ya go! A quick, healthy-ish snack perfect for a post-workout treat. This recipe is super simple, yummy, and highly customizable depending on the flavors you prefer. A sprinkling of sea salt and chili powder, for example, can easily replace the pumpkin pie spice and optional brown sugar in the above ingredients list! You could also omit any extra seasonings and make a classic batch to dip into peanut butter…Don’t act like you aren’t totally drooling! 😉
Have you tried plantain chips before?