Sometimes, one of something just isn’t enough–especially when it comes to food. I mean, Lay’s Potato Chips dedicated an ad campaign to the premise that absolutely no one is able to eat “just one” of their crisps! While potato chips aren’t something I typically indulge in (I’m more of a fry girl), I DO have a team of my personal super foods that I literally cannot stop eating. They’re just SO good! And so good for you! These are “healthy”, snack-y items that I hoard…and have on hand pretty much no matter what.
- Brookside Dark Chocolate Covered Pomegranate. I specified the pomegranate variety above, but honestly, anything Brookside makes is like crack to me. They’re totally a tricky food too, because they’re all “dark chocolate! Super foods! Antioxidants!”, but then also “sugar! Calories! Candy!” I try to ration out these little bites of amazingness as best as I possibly can, but one serving is never enough. Ever. The only solution I’ve ever found for this is to buy the jumbo multi-pack of 100-calorie mini bags, because then the portion control is built in. Never tried them? Get on that.
- Raw, un-roasted cashews. See, these are straight-up good for you, but NOT in the portions that I enjoy! I literally can’t have these in the house–I’ll eat the entire package in two days. I’m the same way with raw almonds. They’re just so…good! And since I can convince myself that I’m consuming healthy fats that are doing oh-so wonderful things for my body, I tend to gorge. Oops.
- Bliss balls. I made bliss balls for the first time last year–they contained peanut butter, coconut, oats, chocolate chips, flaxseed, and honey. UM, what?!? Of COURSE I can’t stop eating them! They’re like, all of my favorite foods smashed together as one. This is a no-brainer.
- Hummus. A serving size of hummus is two tablespoons. When is the last time you’ve ever actually eaten only two tablespoons of hummus? I’ll tell you when I have! NEVER! I’m weird, so my primary consumption method of hummus is as a standalone food item. Totally abnormal, I know. It’s just so good!
- Peanut butter. What is it with me and nuts?! Seriously, this is probably my biggest food obsession. Peanut butter? Everything. Like with hummus, I don’t even need to put PB on anything–I eat it straight out of the jar by the spoonful. And it’s never just ONE spoonful, either. And you know what? I don’t even care. See above.
Okay, so, I’m not one of those people who can just give up something they like. Nope. Not me. Instead my solution for keeping the obsessive snacking at bay is simple: keep them on hand–just not all at once. One is ideal, two is standard. Three…Well, three is the danger zone. You can have it all, but you can’t have it all at once. I can totally rotate between bliss balls and dark-chocolate covered anything as long as I have my PB 24/7.
Do you have food items that you can’t eat just one of?! (Please tell me I’m not the only one!)